A few weeks ago, we started talking about 2022 adtech trends. You can find the article here. But it is only the beginning of a year full of innovations and changes. Today, we’ll talk about the advertising trends for 2022. Formats, platforms… We’ll tell you everything!
New ad formats
Conversational advertising is THE adtech trend of 2022. But what makes it stand out?
More than 71% of consumers want to be able to communicate with companies in real time.
Lately, basic audiovisual advertisements have had a hard time attracting the public’s attention. To meet this need for visibility from advertisers, a new advertising format is entering the scene: conversational advertising powered by chatbots.
Conversational advertising is the use of automated conversations between a brand and its consumers. It is this little window that opens when you go on a website. It’s a bot that’s there to answer the questions of interested people.
This “conversational agent” is called a chatbot. It is in fact a computer program capable of simulating a conversation with one or more humans. It is a tool that is widely used on the Internet by the customer services of brands through instant messaging.
The conversational advertising market is growing rapidly. In 2020, the global chatbot market is worth over $17 billion. By 2026, it is expected to reach $103 billion.
Here are a few advantages of conversational advertising:
- Increase customer engagement as chatbots ensure customer satisfaction by being available 24/7 to meet their needs.
- Boost and preserve the brand image by responding to customers in a personalized manner.
- For the customers, talking to a chatbot is familiar and intuitive. Indeed, interacting with a conversational assistant is a sort of text “extension”.
To conclude, in the context of conversational advertising, chatbots are well on their way to becoming an effective and indispensable tool for the companies of tomorrow.
Nowadays, consumers are choosing the Internet to watch videos rather than television. In addition, Internet users are consuming more and more content, when and where they want. So you need to find new ways to get their attention on their terms.
So what is an in-stream video?
It is an ad created by a brand, which is broadcasted before or during a video on a streaming platform, like Youtube. In addition to appearing in popular videos, these ads can also appear live on social networks such as Facebook or Twitter. Since the development of streaming platforms, the share of in-stream videos in the various advertising formats used is constantly increasing.
The goal of in-stream ads is to optimize the traffic to the website, which can generate potential customers. Also, broadcasting their ads on Youtube or social media is a way to boost the audience and increase brand awareness.
A few figures:
- In-stream advertising has doubled its revenue in just 5 years.
- 64% of Internet users are ready to order online after watching a brand’s in-stream video.
- People who have seen in-stream video ads on Twitter are 70% more likely to recall the brand’s ad.
- In 2020, video surpassed blogs and infographics as the most popular content marketing strategy.
- In 2021, the average person spends about 100 minutes a day watching videos online.
- In-stream video reaches the equivalent of one third of the entire television market.
Video inventory is in high demand. To meet this need, publishers have supplemented video ads that appear before, during or after video content with in-stream ads.
What are the advantages of this type of ads?
First of all, its targeting capabilities. Your ad can be targeted to an audience similar to your brand. By doing so, your video will be well matched to the interests of your audience. Thus, a well-targeted in-stream ad could increase the chances of purchase.
Then, advantage or not? In-stream ads are very short. During this brief moment, it is necessary to capture the attention of the viewer. Indeed, an in-stream video has to be quite short and vague, you don’t have time to give details. The real advantage here is that marketers will have to create less content than they would for a long video.
Finally, their potential return on investment is enormous. One study even found that in-stream ads had higher returns than TV ads.
Despite all these advantages, you will face a major challenge. Your content will have to convince viewers to click on the link in your video and then purchase your brand’s product.
Some tips for launching a successful in-stream ad:
- Capture the viewer’s attention in the first few seconds since this content interrupts the display of the current video. To do this, tell a story that will captivate them from the first moments to make them want to know what happens at the end. To make people visit your site, you can put a call to action.
- Drive traffic from your ads to your site that includes other videos. If you allow the user to watch other videos, you will surely increase their engagement.
- Include subtitles to capture the attention of viewers who watch the video without sound.
- Get inspired by other videos. Millions of brands have already tested in-stream advertising. So don’t hesitate to watch different videos for inspiration.
Who hasn’t heard of TikTok?
It is this Chinese video sharing application with over a billion users worldwide. Some brands have seen their sales explode thanks to this platform. Like any social network with a large number of users, it is necessary to be able to offer advertising space to advertisers. This is what TikTok has done by offering advertising formats to be broadcast on its platform.
Before we get to the heart of the matter, here are some impressive figures about TikTok:
- TikTok is the 6th most popular social networking platform in the world with over 800 million users.
- 73% of users feel connected to a brand they interact with via the platform.
- 78% say the best brands collaborate with users.
- 67% say the app made them want to buy something they didn’t necessarily want to buy at first.
Thanks to its growing popularity, TikTok now offers a service aimed directly at businesses: TikTok for Business. This platform gives brands the possibility to launch trends, interact with their community and thus reach a large audience by creating videos.
People think that most active TikTok users are young people glued to their phones. But not only. If, indeed, 38% of the users are between 13 and 17 years old, 37% are between 18 and 24 years old! Let’s also note that 20% of users are between 25 and 36 years old. The platform is therefore an effective tool for companies that target this type of audience. This is why TikTok is an excellent choice to promote your brand.
There are 5 advertising formats on TikTok at the moment:
- Brand Takeover: This is the format that appears when the application is opened. It lasts between 3 and 5 seconds. It is an ephemeral format that can only be used for 24 hours.
- In-Feed: These are 15 to 60 second video spots that appear in the users’ fyp. Users can like, comment and share them. It is sometimes difficult to distinguish between this ad and a normal TikTok video. You can however put a link to your website directly on the video.
- Hashtag challenge: This format is the most popular on TikTok. It is simply shooting a video and accompanying it with a #. By doing so, users can engage with the brand. It’s a format that’s geared towards brands that want to gain awareness quickly.
- Top View: It is a mix between the Brand Takeover and In-Feed formats. The ad starts in full screen like the Brand Takeover format. Then it ends in In-Feed, i.e., by merging into the feed. The video format is quite long (60 seconds), and the user can only skip the video after 5 seconds.
- Effect: TikTok allows you to create your own effects related to your brand, and thus promote them on the application. These effects can take the form of filters, stickers, or special effects.
So we understand better this rise in power of TikTok Ads. They really allow you to broadcast your advertisement in video format thanks to a large choice of formats, to improve your brand image and to realize a striking advertising operation and still to reach a large audience through the broadcasting of advertising campaigns.
Adtech is an exciting industry as it is constantly evolving. This year’s formats will be different from next year’s. In a few weeks, we’ll bring you the rest of this series of articles on advertising trends for 2022. Don’t hesitate to give us your feedback!