Sticky ads are getting more and more popular with publishers and advertisers because of their good performances. They considerably increase the number of views and clicks on your ads when the user scrolls down the page. In this article, we will explain what sticky ads are and why publishers should use them to increase their revenues.
What are sticky ads?
You have all seen those ads that load when you open a web page and remain at the same place when you scroll it. Those ads are attached to different parts of the page and have different sizes. Those are called “sticky ads”. Using them correctly can increase the number of impressions and clicks on your ads.
As their name indicates, they remain “stuck” to the display window all along the session on the page. In other words, sticky ads are always visible to the user.
Why should you use them?
Sticky ads benefit publishers but also advertisers because they increase the visibility of the ad. A higher visibility directly translates to higher CPMs.
A few advantages:
- Sticky ads increase considerably the ads’ visibility.
- They satisfy minimum ad visibility requirements.
- Sticky ads are not intrusive compared to other ad units. They are subtle and do not impact the content of the website.
- They can generate higher CPMs.
As a publisher, here are some tips to follow to avoid clogging the web page:
- Be careful not to overload a web page with sticky ads. Since ads are always present on the page, it is difficult for a reader to see the website content if there are too many ads. Moreover, they may get bored and leave the site before seeing its content.
- They must always be visible in the display window and must never appear or disappear while the web page is scrolling. So be careful with the set up!
When do sticky ads work best?
They work best when you want an action from the visitor. The best time to display them is when there is a decision point in the user journey that needs to be completed. This can be before making a purchase or after another action such as asking a question.
This means you will have more control over when your ad is displayed, as you have more information about what that user is doing. For instance, if someone visits your website and wants to make a purchase, it’s best to show them ads before they submit their order.
The Moneytizer offers a great number of ad units available in sticky. Thanks to our Header Bidding and Smart Refresh technologies, we can help you get the most out of the ads on your website to increase your revenues. Contact us to learn more.